.  Issue #350.
Dec 22, 2014
Editor-in-Chief: Jack and Mary Ann Lawford, www.landspeedracing.com
President of the Society: Jim Miller, 1-818-846-5139
Assistant Editor:
Richard Parks, Rnparks1@Juno.com
Photographic Editor of the Society
: Roger Rohrdanz, beachtruck@juno.com
Northern California Reporter: Spencer Simon, sparklecraftspecial@yahoo.com
Field Reporter/Historian: Bob Falcon, rfalcon279@aol.com
Historians: Anna Marco, Dick Martin, Tex Smith, Burly Burlile, Jerry Cornelison


Click On All Images / Link For more Info / Images

Some Names To Look For In This Newsletter:
President's Corner; Editorials;

GUEST COLUMN; by John Buck. 
     ATTENTION MEDIA; due to high demand, all requesting media representatives must fill out an application no later than January 2, 2015 and return it by email to
caitlin@rodshows.com.ᅠ You are welcome to email or call 1-877-763-7469 extension 5 with any questions.  Grand National Roadster Show Media Application or the Sacramento Autorama Media Application.  John Buck
STAFF EDITORIAL, by Richard Parks: 
     We receive mail; the following came in recently and the names have been changed to protect their identities. 
     “I wanted to thank you for all of your help.  Thanks to you I was able to sell the program to xxx xxxx. I appreciate you taking the time.  Thanks Again and...Best Regards, Sandra.”
     I’ve been thinking for a long time that a website devoted to automotive racing collectibles would be a great idea.  Not that my great ideas become successful.  In fact most of my bad ideas do better than my great ideas.  But still, wouldn’t a website with text and photographs of collectibles be something worth looking at?  I suppose that eBay and some of the other websites have already figured that out and have cornered the market and starting up a new website might be financially dicey.
     The main reason for such a website is to get people interested in selling their possessions rather than just tossing them into the trash heap.  Jim Miller and I have seen this happen many times.  A hot rodder collects “treasures” and stores them lovingly for decades.  Then he passes away and of course he never tells his family what the “loved” objects are, their value or the history behind the objects.  To his heirs these objects are not “treasures,” but junk and what are the heirs after?  Most likely the only valuable object they see is the home the hot rodder lived in.  They can’t sell the house when it’s full of “junk” can they?  No, they can’t, so they heave all the “treasures” into the dumpster.
     Jim Miller and the rest of us in the Society of Land Speed Racing Historians would much rather see the “treasures” sold to other collectors and hot rodders who will cherish these objects than see them go to the dump.  That’s why a website devoted to racing collectibles has some merit.  Whether it would be a success or an albatross around our necks is another matter.  People ask Jim and I all the time, “What is something worth?”  That’s an impossible question to ask because the only correct answer is, “Well, I think it’s worth about xxx dollars.”  There are a few ways to determine value.  One, an estimator or appraiser who knows what he is talking about can give an estimated range for something to sell in.  Two, an auctioneer can bring down his gavel on the highest price bid for an object.  Three, a number of buyers and sellers can agree on a price and that price can show up in a publication like Beckett’s.  Four, a seller can post the price he is willing to sell an object, or a buyer can post the price that he is willing to pay for an object.  Then they wait to see if what they feel is right brings in buyers and sellers.  But it all boils down to negotiation and sometime the prices are high and some years they are low.  Markets rise and fall for a number of reasons.
     An object is valued intrinsically and materially.  In one case the metal or materials have a “junk” value.  A gold watch has so much gold in it and if you melt it down it can be worth so much.  But an object can have MUCH MORE value if it holds history in it.  If your wrenches can fetch a dollar for their iron content, how much more value is in them if they were once owned by Rodger Ward or John Force?  That piece of furniture that was made in 1790 might be worth $2000, but if it was owned by George Washington its value is going to be around $500,000.  Anything that touches a historical figure becomes much more valuable and today those racing collectibles are being lost and thrown away at an alarming rate.  Lost or discarded because people cannot see the value in these objects, but they can see the value in the house that was left to them.
     See where I am going with this?  If you document and give a provenance or history to the objects and collectibles that you love and cherish all your life, then your descendants will see the value in them and keep them.  They won’t toss them into the trash when you are gone.  It doesn’t matter if they keep the objects or sell them as long as those objects reach a good home and you send a history along with those objects.

STAFF NOTES: Donald W. Peterson passed away recently.
      I know very little about Don Peterson.  He wrote a statement in the book (RACING OUTBOARDS 1907-1989) that I reviewed; "To Richard Parks, may you have a happy and prosperous year.  Don W. Peterson."  He dedicated two of his books to Bob, Roger, Jim, John, Phil and Charlie.  He acknowledged me in one of his books (RUN TO GLORY; CHASING THE WORLD'S WATER SPEED RECORD 1967-1989).  He included his granddaughter Courtney McPherson, and great-granddaughter Samantha Anderson in two photographs (with himself) on the back pages of his books.  He mentioned that he began writing on outboard motors in 1968 and that he was employed in the detoxification field for those with drug and alcohol addictions. 
     The publisher added this information on him: "Donald W. Peterson was born and raised in Arlington, Washington.  He attended Arlington High School.  Upon graduation, Don joined the U.S. Navy and was sent to Communications School.  After discharge, Donald attended Spokane Technical and Vocational College.  Peterson wrote; 1) THE OREGON WOLF (PACIFIC POWERBOAT RACING 1904-1927), his first publication.  Following that came 2) SLO-MO-SHUN (the Sayres Legacy), 3) THE HARMSWORTH TROPHY, 4) THE SPOTTERS GUIDE FOR ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC OUTBOARDS, 5) PETERSON'S PRICE GUIDE FOR ANTIQUE, CLASSIC AND COLLECTABLE OUTBOARDS, 6) RACING OUTBOARDS 1907-1989, and 7) RUN TO GLORY, in addition to numerous articles.
     When you can't find a biography of a person you are left with trying to piece together a man's life by the clues that he left and often the story that you create for another person is really your own version of the man.  But it doesn't really matter.  We are what people remember us to be more than what we really were.  In Donald W. Peterson I saw a contented man, one who loved his family and was loved by them.  It shows up in the faces of his granddaughter Courtney and his great-granddaughter Samantha; with their happy and cheerful smiles.  Don, himself, had a rather serious look about him, quiet, almost a serene look.  There was nothing calm about his passion for outboarding or anything to do with an engine and a hull.  He was curious and excited about the subjects he loved.  He knew everybody in his field and made constant inquiries.  He followed clues as to the whereabouts of old race boats and wanted to know the intimate details of their creation and operation. 
     Peterson was tenacious in his research.  He mentions how he came up against walls of silence in his search for the facts.  That only inspired him to make greater efforts to uncover the truth.  He read voraciously and he had a mind for facts.  He grasped the grand scheme of boat racing and boat history and yet he reveled in the smallest detail.  Peterson's style of writing was simple, factual and to the point, yet on occasion he would add his own personal poem to let us see just how much he loved his subjects.  Perhaps someone will find a biography or obituary to share with the public, because all of us deserve to have our lives and our life's work left behind as a monument.  Donald W. Peterson left behind books and articles and a family who loved him.  That's about as good as it gets for any person.
     Richard Parks, editor of The Society of Land Speed Racing Historians and founder of the Boat Racers Reunion.
     I thought you might like to see the text of the brief tribute to Don that will appear in The Antique Outboarder along with the last article that he wrote for the magazine, which was printed in the April 2014 issue.  We received this letter from Mr Peterson about the article.  It is dated March 2, 2013; Washougal, Washington:
     "Enclosed is an article about one of the first outboard motors.  It has been a pure labor of love.  A month ago I fell onto my right side, and my hand took the hit.  Thus I can use only one finger on my right hand when typing or writing.  As a result, it is impossible for me to follow the format [he means the style guide. ed.] and I ask your help in this Article.  I believe it has merit."
     We in the AOMCI miss him.  Scott Bogue, editor, The Antique Outboarder

boat pic

Ghost Outboard of the Northwoods.  By Donald W. Peterson.  Reprinted by permission of the ANTIQUE OUTBOARDER Magazine.
     Over the years I have been asked about a mystery motor that existed somewhere up in Michigan, or Wisconsin, or somewhere near the Canadian border.  Tales of a steam outboard, a big Diesel, a huge gas outboard and other stories abounded.  The area’s old-timers had many stories about this motor.  One claims he saw it firsthand.  He could not remember much about it, except that it was big.  This party was the only one to see the motor first hand.  The question is, is the outboard still out there, or is the story just a bunch of “horse feathers?”
      I recently received a letter from fellow member Ned Spanagel of Bloomer, Wisconsin.  It read, “This last October Cheryl and I went on a short vacation in the Marquette, Michigan area.  One day we hired a guide for a historical tour of old Marquette.  It was a wonderful day.  We had great weather and were having the time of our lives, when we passed some new condominiums, which our guide said were on the site of the Lake Shore Engine Company—the birthplace of the outboard motor. You might understand my surprise to hear this.  Our guide suggested that we visit the Marquette Regional History Center to find out more.  We went there that afternoon and met with Rosemary Michefin, the head librarian.  She was a wonderful person and a great resource.  We talked extensively about the museum, the Antique Outboard Motor Club, and the history of the outboard motor as we understood it.  Rosemary went into the files and made photocopies of old newspaper articles and several pages of a book called
Superior Heartland, a Backwoods History by C. Fred Rydholm.”
     What a stimulating letter!
It appears that the Lake Shore Engine Company had a very long history, going back to approximately 1858.  Originally named the Lake Shore Iron Works, the company had an extensive history of manufacturing heavy duty machinery for construction and mining.  Some time before 1895, manager S. H. Holley (later of Holley Carburetor fame) heard of a new machine which was a kerosene and gasoline engine.  He asked pattern maker Nels Flodin, also an employee of the Lake Shore Iron Works, to make castings for such a motor. They designed, cast and assembled the motor without blueprints or drawings.  The bore was 3 inches, with a stroke of 3.5 inches.
     When the engine was completed, the next problem was to create an ignition system. They used brass contact points, one being placed in the cylinder and the other in the top of the piston.  This crude “spark plug” was powered by four or five dry cells that were borrowed from the telephone company.  The next step was to run a hose from a can of gasoline hung on the wall above the engine, straight into the air intake.  The current was turned on but with no results.  After much cranking, everyone went home disgusted.  The next morning Flodin tried again.  As he cranked the engine there was a big explosion.  The fire department was called.  The blaze was quickly contained, without much damage—except to the engine, which was ruined.  Flodin was unhurt.
     Another engine was built for the long-awaited trial run.  This engine had a crude carburetor but continued to use the original ignition system.  It ran, and after further development, and now called the “Superior Gas Engine” it became a major product for the company and was used as an inboard engine for barges.
     In early 1896 Nels Flodin built an outboard motor based on this engine.  The motor weighed 150 pounds and used the same type of ignition system as the inboard engine. The cylinder was vertical, with direct drive to the propeller.  Just ahead of the propeller was a bevel gear which drove a vertical shaft.  At the top of the shaft was a flywheel, which was also used for starting.  The motor was steered with simple rod-like tiller handle.  The cooling system was a piece of garden hose on the engine connected to a piece of pipe screwed to the side of the boat.  The force of the boat going through the water pushed water into the pipe and through the cylinder, and the water then ran out the other side of the cylinder through another hose.
     One day in the summer of 1896, the local newspaper relates, a rowboat appeared with two men in it (Flodin and Holley) and a queer collection of pipes and gears that were somehow bolted and screwed together to form an engine that hung over the stern. The craft left Cont Freernan’s boathouse in Marquette Harbor and traversed the 200 yards from the boathouse to the breakwater.  There the queer device suddenly stopped making its weird noises, and the two men picked up their oars and rowed back to the boathouse.  Thus the first outboard motor ever made had its maiden trip.
     This article from the Marquette Regional History Center was featured in the Marquette
Mining Journal, dated January 28, 1939. The claim of this motor being the world’s first outboard is somewhat questionable,* as is the 1896 date (which could have been between 1896 and 1898).  Nels Flodin never patented the motor, nor did he improve upon it.  It was stored away, never to see the water again.  Nels Flodin died in 1934 as the holder of many patents for machinery and machine parts.  While he was never acknowledged as the inventor of the outboard motor, his business card always carried a picture of his motor.
     (*Ed. note: Some sources indicate that 1895, the Electric Boat Company of New York City produced a limited number of electric outboard motors; thus the Flodin/Lake Shore Engine Company motor may have been the first
gasoline-powered outboard motor.)
     Donald W. Peterson, long-time member of AOMCI, died of a heart attack in March, 2014.  We lost track of him months ago and got several calls from people in other parts of the country who were trying to reach him.  His step-daughter called me in October and told me that he had a heart attack, in March, and passed away.  Don was an Honorary Member of AOMCI and he was a frequent contributor of articles and motor advertisements to The Antique Outboarder through-out the years.  He also wrote and published about a dozen books on different marine and marine racing subjects.  One of his most popular books was an identification guide for antique outboard motors.  For years, Don lived in Oregon City, Oregon and in recent years, he lived in Washougal, Washington.  I'm not sure about his age but I think he was about 78 to 80 years old.  We extend our condolences to his wife and family.   Jerry Bell
Puget Sounders Chapter, AOMCI.

     We missed the Santa Ana Drag Race reunion.  I started racing there in 1954.  Would you please notify us of a future reunion?  I am restoring a 1955 Joe Mandella plywood flat bottom v-drive speed ski boat.  This boat was built with twin props-twin rudders with a single 1956 Oldsmobile engine.  The 4 shaft v-drive was built by the boat owner Rozzie Barton.  I have restored the hull.  The installation is completed with the original hardware.  I will pick up the boat this weekend.  I will build the upholstery frames and patterns for the fuel tanks.  Next week the boat will go to the painter to get an original style paint job.  Harlan and Mary Orrin
Caption: Wood boat picture from 1956. 
     Here is a link to the photos I took at the Bob McCoy Memorial Run & Remember 11/15/2014  & Bob McCoy Car Show on 11/13/2013   Photos are not protected; feel free to copy any or all; 
http://sandiegoracingmuseum.weebly.com/bob-mccoy.html.  Randy Chenowth, San Diego Racing Museum Project sdracingmuseum@cox.net
     Your email brings to mind a friend I had many years ago.  Ray Crawford picked me up one day while hitch hiking to the midget races at Culver City around 1947.  He did that frequently back then and even took me home after the races.  Ray wasn't a winning race driver but he was an Ace shooting down six German planes while flying a P-38 in WW II.  Andy Layton in Michigan is doing a bio on Ray Crawford and is working with two of Crawford's sons who live in So Cal.  Andy was in town in April and interviewed me and Don Weaver, who used to stooge for Ray at Gilmore in the late forties.  Anyway, I wanted you to know that John Fitch was not the only WW II pilot who later became race drivers.  Besides Ray, there was Sam Hanks, Rodger Ward, and many others.  Thanks for keeping NHRA alive and letting us know what's happening in the rest of the racing world.  Racer Roy (Roy C. Morris), San Juan Capistrano, California.
Eily "Brew-Meister" Stafford.  By Anna Marco & Stormy Byrd.  Photos by Anna Marco, Pam & Darryl Conrad.  This is a revised and expanded story on Eily Stafford.

You're either born with the racing gene, or not.
     When Rick Stafford took his 12-year old daughter Eily to the Winternationals at Pomona, he had no idea what he started, but Eily knew. The San Diego, CA native had found her version of paradise and has never looked back. Many young ladies celebrate their “Sweet Sixteenth” with friends; Eily’s choice was Frank Hawley’s Drag Racing School in Pomona circa 2005 where she earned her first of seven NHRA licenses. It was Jack Beckman that would introduce Eily to the NHRA fuel teams for a summer job that would expose her to the “Big Show” world.  This also led to her first ride in Jim Sloan’s “Soul Train” Fuel Altered in 2005 and the world of Nostalgia racing. Rick & Dee Stafford would help their daughter get her own 1969 injected Jr. Fuel dragster which she ran for a season & a half (and still runs) when she was approached by veteran racer Chuck Bayuk and partner Jim Jordan about driving their beautiful blown Hemi NE1 dragster “Desperado.”  Eily drove Desperado for several years while earning two more NHRA licenses in long & short wheelbase cars. She would earn her Advanced ET license at the wheel of Steve Zimmerman’s “Killer Crower” 7.0 Pro dragster running a best of 6.90 @ 195mph.
Timeline: 2011
     In 2011, the “House of Mouse” NE1 team (Stormy Byrd & Joel Gruzen) fielding 4 cars, approached Eily about driving their team car “Strange Brew” in the ANRA series so it would not conflict with her driving Bayuk’s “Desperado” (who only raced the NHRA Heritage series.) They know talent when they see it and while driving Strange Brew, Eily was given the chance to not only drive another competitive car but was on her way to becoming the “Brew-Meister” with her long smoky burnouts & Stormy’s blessings doing dry hops which he quips, “is my specialty.”  How did Eily fair in “Brew”? In the first two 2011 ANRA races, she went to the semi’s and came in 4th in overall points while only competing in three of the four race series.
Strange Brew
     Eily’s horsepower pal is the “Strange Brew” modified fuel coupe. The car was conceived by Team Byrd/Ankenbauer as the sister car to Byrd’s NE1 Roadster named “Revelation” (aka “The Bell Auto Parts Special/The Rounders” that ran at Lions). The two cars matched raced for years against each at local southern California tracks.  In 1997, while racing at LACR, two rods exited “Brew” destroying everything.  Dennis was broke & Stormy was beginning to assemble the blown motor for his own racecar. They couldn’t afford to build a second engine for Brew, so it would sit for some years until it was finally rebuilt.
Timeline: 2012
     After leaving the “Desperado” team to drive “Strange Brew” full time for House of Mouse; Eily would take on the 2012 NHRA Heritage series.  There, she would start the season by taking out the 2011 NHRA champ on her way to the March Meet finals where she placed runner-up to veteran Steve Schoenfeld.  Running the entire slate of grueling Heritage series races from Sacramento-Nevada-Arizona to Bakersfield, Eily would finish the year out #4 in the super-competitive NE1 point’s chase!  While racing the NHRA & ANRA series races, Eily also had her hand in NHRA big show cars with the help of her dear friend/ mentor/sponsor, the late Ralph “Clutch Meister” Freeman with Duane Shield’s A/Fuel dragster.  It was Ralph who taught her the in’s & out’s of working the clutch of those fuel burning animals and lovable Ralph is dearly missed by all.  Also, during the 2011-12 season, Eily had earned her AA degree in Automotive Technology from Miramar College with top honors. 
What’s the future for Eily “Brew Meister” Stafford?
     To move up into the alcohol ranks, then eventually into a Nitro ride is her goal. The winners circle for sure and anything this young lady sets her sights on.  And why not the NHRA Big Show too?  With the support of her sponsors: Art Carr’s California Performance Transmission, Valley Head Service, Deering Industries, DJ Safety, Pioneer Paint Bakersfield, and her Dad, that just might happen.  Until then, this 25 year old drag racer is making her mark on Nostalgia racing, taking names and having fun with Team Gruzen.  Occasionally, you will find her at The Cruise-For-A-Cure charity event or doing a quick modeling job with her infectious smile, dazzling blue eyes and all American girl good looks.  She was Miss Barona Drags two years in row and recently drove for a music video featuring drag racing.  She has plans to continue restoration of her rare tri pod Jr Fuel car and maybe one day, build an old Ford coupe for the street.
     Eily claims, “When the helmets go on, it doesn’t matter if you’re male or female, all that matters is who gets that win light.  I do a lot of mental runs.  Being a nostalgia drag racer, I’m living history of how drag racing was back in the golden days.  I am the next generation and I get to carry this amazing history on.  My Dad took me to my first race when I was 12, the Winternationals in Pomona, CA.  I fell in love with the sound, the speed and the smell.”  Her advice to other women drivers or women in motorsports, “Don’t ever give up.  There are a lot of people who try to bring you down, don’t listen to them and always stay classy.“
     Eily Stafford has her own line of Strange Brew apparel & jewelry that can be found at
www.facebook.com/EilyStafford.  Special Thanks to: the Stafford Family, the Gruzen Family, John Brand and Ralph Freeman.

Owners: Frank Krestin/Joel Gruzen/Stormy Byrd
Builders: Stormy Byrd/Dennis Ankenbauer/Derrick Lasmet
Year:  1939/1964   Make: 1964 chassis, 1939 Fiat Topolino body
Body Mods: 146” chassis by Race Car Specialties /Byrd/Ankenbauer/Dave Tuttle/Calif. Chassis Engineering, narrowed 1939 Fiat Topolino body
Chop: 4”     Channel: 9”    Section: 3 feet
Other Body Modifications: 10” extension on firewall
Grille/shell: Full Aluminum nose by Ankenbauer/Byrd
Paint Color: Teal   Paint Type: PPG   Painter:  Tracy Terry
Engine:  355 Chevy, Scat crank, Venolia rods & pistons, Schneider cam  
Transmission:  Art Carr Race Powerglide
Intake & Carb:  6-71 Blowershop Blower / Enderle Bug Catcher fuel injection
Ignition:  Vertex Magneto
Exhaust:  Home built
Rear End:  1964 9” Ford housing w/spool & 3:50 gears- Moser Carrier & axles
Suspension Front:  RCS torsion bar   Suspension Rear:  Solid
Brakes, Rear:  10” Wilwood disc./no front brakes
Wheels/Size: 10-15 Centerlines rear  2:50 RCS aluminum 16” wire wheels front
Tires/Size:  15-29.5-10.5 Mickey Thompson slicks - 16” Cheng-Shin front HS tires
Seat:   Aluminum
Steering Column: P&S.   Steering Wheel:  Aluminum/wood Butterfly
Interior Extras: .050” 3003 aluminum interior panels beadrolled and fitted by Ankenbauer/Byrd, All safety equipment is furnished by DJ Safety.
Taillights: Red bullet lamp
Club Affiliation:  House of Mouse – ANRA – NHRA

Book Review: by Anna Marco (Vote: 5 of 5 stars).  Drag Racing’s Quarter Mile Warriors: Then & Now, by Doug Boyce (CarTech Publications).
     Drag Racing’s Quarter Mile Warriors: Then & Now, by Doug Boyce (published by CarTech Publications) is a beautiful soft bound book loaded with color photos, vintage photos and archival shots of many of the most memorable and successful cars from the golden age of drag racing.  All Class categories are chronicled: dragsters, funny cars, altereds, door slammers, super stock, junior stock cars, early 1970s pro stock cars and more.
     The history and evolution of the sport of drag racing is shown within the parameters of its development and using racing lore surrounding drivers and their cars from TV Tommy Ivo to Arlen McFadley with everyone in between.  Not all the cars are of historical significance but each have their place and a story to tell.  Many of the cars featured are true survivors and can still be seen at nostalgia events today.  What’s unique about this book the juxtaposition of then and now photos for each car featured. For example, Sam Auxier’s “Don Hardy Pro Stock Pinto” which ran from 1973-1975, is seen on the track and languishing in a field where it had been sitting since the mid-1980s.  A total restoration is planned for the racecar. 
     Another barn find treasure is the story of the Starck Hickey Super Stock Mustang. The R-code Mustang was ordered by Ford engineers as a test bed for Ford’s high stall converters and should have ended up in the crusher.  Instead the racecar was sold several times and raced before being stored in a shipping container for 35 years in Las Vegas (by the current owner Bob Wytosky who lives in Hawaii) who then sent the car to Canada for a full restoration by Creative Concepts & Restorations.  The end result is a stunning time capsule complete with its original Super Cobra Jet engine.  If you love stories like these, then this is the book for you.
STAFF NOTES: This record of the August 2011 Bonneville Speedweek was sent in by Ross Ireland.  All records of LSR are welcome and will be published in the SLSRH Newsletter for historical record keeping.
       Well...This was our year!  After 6 years pursuing the world record in our class AA/BGL, one of the top classes at Bonneville, we have succeeded!
Old Record…………315.766 MPH
Our New Record…..324.961 MPH
       Here’s how we did it.  This year we rebuilt and re-sleeved our engine with a special focus on making the sleeves thicker, stronger, and fitting the block and heads much better. We also enclosed the rear of the car to make the vehicle more aerodynamic and “it really worked!”  But, it wasn’t easy.  We worked long and hard hours performing these tasks and getting the car ready for several months before Bonneville and the last month was particularly stressful.  We left for Bonneville on Thursday August 11, 2011 and arrived on the salt that evening.  We prepped for tech inspection Friday morning and passed all of the inspections by mid-afternoon.  Racing was to start Monday morning at 10AM and we worked hard to prepare the car to be ready to run at that time.
       We planned our first run to be a modest and methodical “shakedown” run to be sure that our new body design was stable and would go down the racetrack straight and true with a minimum of vibration and wheel slippage.   We wanted to run a smooth acceleration to about 250 MPH and shut down so we could check out the car and the engine’s performance.
       We made our first run Saturday with a third mile average speed of 281 MPH and a third mile exit speed of about 300.  The car was very fast and very stable running down the race track straight and true.   We were very excited and prepared the car for its second run where we were going to see what the car could really do.  On Sunday morning we pushed out for our second run and the car performed poorly appearing to be very fuel rich and our driver shut it down and turned out early.  After a lengthy and thorough inspection, we found a small computer sensor, which monitors intake air temperature had vibrated out of the back of the intake manifold.  We rechecked every other fitting on the car a second time and prepared for run number 3.
       We made run number 3 on Monday morning.  The car seemed very strong, but our driver again shut it off close to the 3 mile marker because our water temperature warning light came on; something we expected might happen and were monitoring closely.  Even shutting down early we till ran a 290 MPH average speed in the 3rd mile with the engine pulling strongly.  In our search for a solution to the high temperature problem our strategy included the use of Glycol Ethylene (Anti-freeze) to control the boiling point of the water, since water boils at a lower temperature at Bonneville’s 4600 foot altitude, but we learned the use of this chemical was recently deemed illegal as a coolant because of an unusual accident 2 years earlier involving a fire.   Without the use of this, or a similar chemical, we were in trouble.  After considerable discussion and research, the head of the technical committee gave us the OK to use up to a 50% mix of anti-freeze and water.  We were back in business!
       We made a fourth run on Tuesday and while the run was strong, crosswinds were high and again we had to abort the run due to handling difficulty keeping the car in the center of the track.  We decided to wait for damp track conditions to improve.  It rained the night before and for wind to subside.
       On Wednesday morning conditions were nearly perfect and so was our run.  We ran 299MPH in the third mile and 327.116 MPH in the fourth mile, qualifying us for the record.  Hooray!  When this happens we have one hour to get the car to a special “impound” area where we have four hours to work on the car and prep it for a record run attempt which we would make the following morning at 7 AM.  We needed a run of at least 306 MPH to average higher than the old record and set a new record.
       Conditions on Thursday morning were again nearly ideal and we made a run averaging 322.806 MPH in the fourth mile and we are now the new record holders.   Averaging the Qualifying run speed and the Record run speed our new record is 324.961 MPH.  Woooo Hoooooo!  Next year it is my turn to drive!   Special thanks to all those who made this possible.  Ross Ireland, Frank Silva, John Sprenger, and the Got Salt Racing Team

Gone Racin'...Bill Bader biography.  Text and photographs by Bill Bader, edited by Richard Parks, photographic consultant Roger Rohrdanz.  July 18, 2012.  Reprinted with permission of Internet Brands, for photographs go to www.hotrodhotline.com

     My paternal grandfather's name was Abraham Bader.  He was a big, imposing, no-nonsense man, but I don't remember much else about him.  He died before 1953 when I was almost ten years old.  He married Celia Bader.  Celia was a small frail woman who also passed away when I was very young.  My father's parents came to America around 1900 from Zahle, Lebanon and were Maronite Christians.  They entered America through Ellis Island in their early teens.  I imagine it must have been quite an exciting trip for them.  Abraham and Celia were married in Dubois, Pennsylvania and made their home there.  Abraham and Celia operated a clothing store in Cleveland, Ohio, though I don't know much about them or the store. 

     My father, William Abraham Bader I, was born in Dubois in 1905.  My Father had two brothers, Jim Bader and Alex Bader, and three sisters, Evelyn Bader, Jean Bader, and Blanche Bader Swan.  The Bader family later moved to Cleveland, Ohio.  My aunt Evelyn owned and operated an exclusive women's dress store on the east side of Cleveland and employed her two sisters.  Evelyn provided support for Abraham and Celia in their later years.  My Uncle Al worked for the railroad as an 'Office' Engineer.  He designed some of the couplings and other improvements used by the trains at that time.  The railroad paid him extremely well for his inventions and he retired at an early age and moved to Boca Raton, Florida to live.  My Uncle Jim was a bit of a ladies’ man and that's all that I can say on that subject.  My father was a very religious man and his faith and family came first.  He never completed the 8th grade and went to work at a young age.  My father worked as a shop foreman for Alcoa Aluminum for twenty years and then worked as a laborer for a construction company for about ten years.  His last job was at Halle Brothers Department Store where he worked until he retired at the age of seventy.

      My maternal grandfather was Amine (Charles) Joseph Shiban.  He married Chaffy Zegiob in the early 1900's.  My mother's parents came to America from Aramoun, Lebanon around 1900 as teenagers.  They were Orthodox Christians.  We were told that the Bader's and the Shiban's were friends in Lebanon.  Charles and Chaffy were married in Cleveland, Ohio and made their home there.  My grandfather, Charles, became a contractor and completed big sewer and water projects in and around the Cleveland area.  I have newspaper clippings and pictures of the Charles Joseph Construction company showing his projects with ribbon cutting ceremonies dated in the 1920's and '30's.  Chaffy would read his contracts and do his payroll in the early years because Charles could not read very well.  I also have his company checkbook.  Chaffy was the woman behind the successful man.  My mother, Josephine Joseph was born in Cleveland in 1915.  My Mother had one sister, Eleanor Joseph Berkild, and three brothers, Joe Joseph, Clayton Joseph and Salem Joseph.  All three of the Joseph boys served in the military and went on to become businessmen.  Uncle Salem opened a Chrysler dealership in Melbourne, Florida and his sons own and operates the business today.  Uncle Joe opened a cigar and convenience store and passed the business down to his sons, who operated the store until about two years ago.  Uncle Clayton was a real estate broker until he passed away, but he never married.  Aunt Eleanor married and had two children.  Josephine, my mother, graduated high school and wanted to pursue a business career, but Chaffy told her no.  My mother finally gave in and married my father as it was an arranged marriage that my mother struggled accepting.  My father was 35 and my mother 25 when they married in 1940 in Cleveland, Ohio at St. Patrick's Cathedral.  My father passed away in 1978 and my mother never remarried.  My mother was the decision maker in the home while my father was the lover.  Mom was strong and took charge.  My mother sold clothing and other goods from the basement of our home to help provide for the family's wellbeing.  My father worked and was active in the church.  He founded the Holy Name Society at St. Elias Church and was an active member of the Knights of Columbus.

      I was born in 1943 at St. John's Hospital in Cleveland and named after my father, William Abraham Bader II.  My brother, Charles Joseph Bader was born in 1946 at the same hospital.  My brother Joe was not as aggressive as I was.  He was more laid back.  Joe was my buddy and we did everything together.  We played ball, hung around and did what all the other kids did at that age.  Joe served in the Marine Corp and was posted to Vietnam.  After the war he married and had two children, Scott and Lisa.  Our parents never moved from their home and the family lived in the same house that we started with.

      My brother and I attended St. Patrick's Elementary School from the first through the eighth grades in Cleveland and then we went to St. Edward High School in Lakewood, Ohio.  Close friends in school were Dave Ruebensaal, Bob Lee, Dan Bewley, Jim Bewley, Gary Aftoora, Kevin Ruic and Bill Stroh.  These same guys were crew members on my race car and actually helped me with the expenses as needed.  Since there were seven guys the car number was 7 and each of us pitched in $700, which was our start-up fee.  We are very close friends and still keep in touch to this day.  I never joined any car clubs while I was in school.  I worked as a newspaper carrier, car wash attendant and for an office cleaning company during my years in high school to earn spending money.  I built my first hot rod while I was in high school.  It was a 1950 Mercury convertible with a 392 cubic inch Chrysler Hemi engine.  I sold the Mercury in 1961, during my senior year, but kept the Hemi to put into a '33 Plymouth coupe, complete with wooden spoke wheels and hydraulic brakes.  I even had a six log manifold.  My father sold the car while I was away at college because he was afraid that I might get injured in the car.               

      I attended two years at the University of Dayton majoring in medicine. I enjoyed physics, biology, chemistry, and math. I quickly discovered my stomach could not deal with blood or cutting a person. On more than one occasion I needed to move very quickly to the bathroom. I tried not eating before the classes but nothing worked. I left school for 'greener pastures.'  During college I worked in the shipping and receiving department for Grinnell Plumbing & Heating and also for Gershbacker Repair Garage in Dayton, Ohio.  I completed two years of ROTC while I was in college, but was rejected by the Army for medical reason having to do with my legs and feet.  After I left college I went to work for TEXACO (Texas Oil Company) at a service station in Bay Village, Ohio.  I eventually purchased the Texaco Station in 1963.  The owner was desperate to get out and sold me the station for next to nothing and carried my note.  On June 20, 1963 I married Dorothea Bechtel.  Dottie was just like the 'girl that married dear old dad.'  She was a homemaker and loved her family.  We struggled and grew apart as my business life expanded.  We had three children; William Abraham Bader III (born in 1967), Kelly Josephine Bader (born in 1968) and Roberta Lynn Bader (born in 1970).  Our marriage ended March 15, 1977.  My second marriage was to Debra Neel in March of 1986 and we recently celebrated 26 years of marriage this year.  She originally worked as a nurse, but eventually came to work with me at Norwalk Raceway Park.  We did not have any children.  Deb is very close to Billy and Bobbie.

      While I was working at the station I purchased an MG-TD and installed a small block Chevy engine in it.  It was an exceptionally dangerous car.  I sold the MG and bought my first race car.  It was a super modified roadster with a small block Chevy motor, knock-offs, Hilborn injection, Mallory magneto and an Isky 505 roller cam.  The car was badly wrecked and Joe Ferguson, my neighbor next to the racetrack, helped me put it back together.  Joe taught me how to weld and cut.  We raced on asphalt oval tracks from 1964 to 1970.  We finished second at Lorain County Speedway in 1970, winning 26 of 52 starts.  In 1971 I decided to get out from under the helmet and into the timing tower. I drove the car the first four years, but made a better engine tuner and mechanic than I did a driver.  I sold the TEXACO station in 1965.  I entered the trades as an iron worker in Local 17, in Cleveland.  I worked for only one company, Handcraft Metal Erectors, from 1965 until 1970.  I really wanted to be a race track manager and I thought that I had the ability and talent to be a success and compete against the other local promoters.

      In the winter of 1971 my crew member and friend, Kevin Ruic, approached the owner of Sandusky Speedway in Sandusky, Ohio and asked about leasing the Speedway from him.  The track had been closed for three years and the owner was eager to reach an agreement.  Kevin told me about this opportunity and we signed a five year lease.  Three years later, in 1974, the track owner of Norwalk Dragway in Norwalk, Ohio, approached me about purchasing his track.  The two racetracks were only 14 miles apart and I agreed.  We were sanctioned by the American Hot Rod Association (AHRA) when we opened in 1974.  We hosted our first special events at Norwalk in 1977.  The season opener was in April and we featured Don 'Big Daddy' Garlits versus Chris 'The Greek' Karamesines.  A few weeks later, on May 7, 1977, Jim Tice, the owner of the AHRA, brought a National Open race to our track at Norwalk.  The National Open featured eight nitro funny cars including Gene Snow, Shirl Greer, the Chi Town Hustler, Moby Dick, Tom McEwen, War Eagle and other well-known race cars.  The show was rained out that evening so we all went to the night club that I owned that was located close by.  After we left that night, around 2 AM the nightclub burned to the ground.  The fire department could not find any cause other than something like ashes, starting a booth on fire in the general location we had occupied that night.  I thought Shirl Greer might have started the fire from the ashes of his cigar that he had been smoking, but he denied that he was responsible.

      I abandoned the lease on Sandusky Speedway on December 31, 1977.  Norwalk was growing and we wanted to invest our time in something that we owned, instead of the track that we leased.  The following year in 1978 we began with a match race between Garlits and Connie 'The Bounty Hunter' Kalitta.  Garlits became the centerpiece of our season opener from 1977 until Big Daddy retired.  A few months later, in June, we promoted our first ever Ohio Nationals drag race featuring these famous racers; Don 'The Snake' Prudhomme, Roland Leong and the Hawaiian, Shirley Muldowney, Jeb Allen, The Jets, and many others.  Our shows were growing and we wanted more.  We changed our sanctioning body to the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) in 1979 and 1980.  Wally Parks, the president of the NHRA, wrote me a letter welcoming Norwalk into the NHRA family.  That letter was very important to me.  After producing our own 'Imitation' events, we had reached a point where we wanted a real National Event.  I approached both the NHRA and the International Hot Rod Association (IHRA) asking for one of their National Events.  Bob Daniels, who was the NHRA Division Director for the area, told me the NHRA National Events in Columbus, Ohio and the NHRA Nationals in Indianapolis, Indiana were too close to Norwalk.  He prohibited the NHRA from adding another event in Norwalk.  I spoke to Ted Jones, who was the IHRA vice president and he told me that if we put in grandstands, a return road and scoreboards, he would place a Winston IHRA National Event at my dragstrip.  I made those improvements and in 1981 we hosted our first IHRA Winston World Nationals at the Norwalk drag strip.
     Our first five National events from 1981 through 1985 suffered from bad weather problems.  We moved the dates but nothing worked.  Finally, after raining out the event in 1985, I asked Ted if we could bring the National event back on a Wednesday in September and he agreed with me.  Gene Snow won the event in 1985 and we finally turned a profit.  This was the first profit for us in five years.  Ted and I celebrated by drinking Brandy Alexanders, which were made with ice cream, while our wives completed the final event settle-up.  After that race we never looked back.  Our special events were also growing.  The Night Under Fire, our marquee event, became our biggest single day event.  The Halloween Classic was on its way to becoming the biggest sportsman race in the world and it would eventually host over 1600 entries.  Our weekly racer support climbed to over 500 cars a night.

      By the late 1980's we realized we had outgrown the park and we badly needed more seating, parking, food stands, better lighting and much more if we were to continue to grow.  We needed money to make those amenities happen and realized that we could not expect our racers to provide all that income for us.  What we needed most were more paying customers of all kinds.  We needed more racers, fans, sponsors and suitcase promoters.  We focused on creating the best racing experience possible and to provide the best service that we could for our customers.  We had management meetings one day a week on Thursday morning from 7 to 9 AM.  The first Thursday we focused only on our racers and what they wanted in order to make their experience the best that it could possibly be.  The second Thursday of the month we focused on our fans and what would make their experience a worthwhile one.  The third Thursday we worked on what our sponsors needs were.  The last Thursday of the month we concentrated on our guest promoters and their needs.  Each had their own set of wants and needs.  The racers want a fair chance to win or lose.  The fan wants to have an evening of entertainment.  The sponsor wants to make his investment pay off with bigger sales for his business.  The suitcase promoter wants to take home a little money.  It really is not that hard if you take the time to put yourself in the other person's shoes.  We were building for the future.

      My biggest scare came in 1988 when the IHRA fell on hard times.  We worried that they might fail and if there would even be an IHRA around to sanction our races.  I talked again with the NHRA and begged Dallas Gardner to give us a National event.  I even offered to share part of the profit from the event with the owner of National Trail Raceway in Columbus, Ohio.  There was the belief at that time that our event would hurt the races at Columbus, and that made it more difficult to convince the NHRA.  They were adamant about changing their opinion.  The next most prestigious event in the NHRA racing calendar was the Super Chevy events, so we went after one of those races.  George Elliott, the president of Super Chevy at that time, listened to our proposal and agreed to give us an event on a trial basis.  We were successful and for the next two decades we hosted a Super Chevy event at our track. 

      By the early 1990's we had invested in our third major expansion at the track.  We added modern restroom facilities that were complete with showers, and a 6000 seat, 40 rows high, stadium grandstand.  We built a new timing tower and a modern walk-in store for our merchandise.  This expansion was our first ever seven figure project.  Our first expansion was the initial project needed to host an IHRA event in 1981.  The second expansion project was the office and skybox complex that we built in 1986.  These projects caused us some concern as the IHRA was still going through a series of different owners and presidents. 

      In July of 1996 I decided IHRA was on the wrong path and it was time to start my own organization.  I called Hayne Dominic, (president of IHRA), to inform him of my intentions.  I could immediately tell by the tone in his voice he was distraught and upset.  He asked if he could call me right back and I agreed.  A return call came a few minutes later from Kurt Kummer, the owner of IHRA's merchandise company, informing me he was the new president of IHRA.  I was startled and asked for more details.  He told me Carlton Phillips, IHRA Owner and Chairman of the Board, has just appointed him the new president of IHRA.  Kurt went on to say he recognized Norwalk could operate without IHRA but asked me to wait until our national event (only 5 weeks away) and give him the chance to meet with me and discuss the future of the organization.  I agreed and we met during our event later in August.  I was already aware of the strong business sense; passion and work ethic Kurt Kummer possessed and immediately agreed to stay part of IHRA and assisted in a supervisory position. 

      Approximately seven months later Carlton Phillips sold IHRA to Tom Bilstein and Elton Alderman, owners of Prolong Super Lubricants, and they replaced Kurt with George Elliott.  I offered to purchase the organization but I was too late. Approximately 9 months later, in late October of 1997, Tom Billstein called to ask if I would take the helm of IHRA.  I responded by saying I would purchase the organization and that was the only option I would consider.  We met in California at his office in December and I purchased the organization on January 9, of 1998. The Awards Banquet was one week later and our first National Event four weeks after that.  In the meantime I had a schedule to expand and solidify, series sponsor to secure, TV contract to negotiate, and move the office to Ohio in my spare time.  It was crazy but we made it happen.  I went to Kurt Kummer and told him I would only do this if he accepted the job as GM to help me get started.  He agreed and away we went.                                                        

      The first two years were challenging but exciting.  Kurt and l logged our time just for the fun of it.  90 to 105 hour weeks were common.  Starting sometimes before 6 am and working till after midnight was not strange.  The racers, track operators, sponsors and officials were exceptional in helping make it all come together.  We were like a V8 engine hitting on all cylinders.  The passion those people demonstrated was the only way it could have happened. They were special and I love each and every one of them.

       IHRA grew and soon our attendance, racer support and number of tracks soared.  By the end of the first year the red on our balance sheet turned "black" and we were having fun in the process.  Soon, major sponsors like Summit Racing, Car Quest, Harley-Davidson, Mopar, Holley, Snap-on Tools, and especially Hooters Restaurant joined our family. A few years later Hooters provided our first ever Million Dollar Point Fund!  To quote one of our track operators, "One elevator is going up and one elevator is going down.  It will be interesting to see where they both land."    

     Our vision was to mature IHRA into an organization equal to NASCAR, NFL or NBA.  Through our television broadcast we planned on developing a personal relationship between drivers and viewers.  We wanted IHRA Drag Racing on the tip of every tongue in America.  To accomplish this we recognized the critical need for a big-league media partner.  Enter Clear Channel Communications.  And they just didn't come any bigger. They were a media and entertainment giant.  With nearly 1200 radio stations, 750,000 billboards, a major presence in nearly every town in America, Clear Channel seemed the perfect choice.  In 2001 Clear Channel purchased 75% ownership interest in IHRA. I retained the remaining 25%.


     IHRA continued to grow and by the end of 2004 it was "time."  I had worked to the exclusion of my wife and family, I was physically tired and beat up, and I needed to get my personal life in order.  It is either one extreme or another with me.  I am not able to do anything part way.  There is no "maybe" or "we will see."  We either do it and do it right, or we don't do it at all.  My life has always been a family effort but mostly because my wife and children met me on my terms.  My brother Joe started with me in 1971 as Race Director and eventually Food and Beverage Manager for 16 years.  Joe's wife Pattie worked as office manager for a number of years.  My wife Debbie left a career in the medical profession to work with me and was responsible for creative, human resources, and eventually assumed the role as GM.  My son Billy and daughters Bobbie and Kelly came to work with me when they each reached 10 years of age.  Billy is now the president of Summit Motorsports Park, formerly known as Norwalk Raceway Park, and Bobbie serves as director of Sponsor Services.  And Jayme, Billy's wife, is our Merchandise Manager.  I would stack this team up against any team in the business!

     There were many industry highlights during the past years.  Car Craft honored us twice at their All Star Team Banquet in Indy: first as Track Operator of the Year, and again as Person of the Year.  The Don Garlits Drag Racing Hall of Fame presented us with the Drag Racing Founders Award.  IHRA honored us with Track Operator of the Year, and again later as Promoter of the Year.  Summit Motorsports Park has received Track of the Year 5 times by IHRA, and 3 times by NHRA.  My son was named Promoter of the Year by NHRA. And www.Competitionplus.com readers voted Summit Raceway Park overall Track of the Year on two separate occasions.  I know this may be bragging a bit, but to not include these awards would be a disservice to the dedicated people that spent all the hours and years working so hard to make it happen.  Without them nothing could be accomplished.  

     We get all the credit but all we did was stir the pot.  Without our team members (employees), racers, fans and sponsors, nothing would happen.  We could not do it without these folks and a lot of help from above.  As I look back over the years I wonder how we accomplished what we did.  And what we failed to accomplish.  We started out like a bunch of kids playing very hard and working very hard at something we really loved.  We never took ourselves too serious and just kept going.  Many times I made the comment, "I never had a job; I never had trouble getting up in the morning."  We did some really stupid things but the good Lord never let us get into a lot of trouble.  We were really very blessed.  

     As I got older I looked back with amazement.  I would stand near the starting line during a packed house and stare with awe; "was this really something I had a hand in?"  Where did I come from?  How did I get here?  The teachings and lectures from my mother and father, and grandparents started to ring in my ears.  Maybe I never really forgot what they taught me.  As we put out life into priority, we must align those priorities; Faith, Family and Finance in that order.  Never get them mixed up, as we do often do.  I remember discussing Faith, Family and Finance with John Force and Jim Head during a race at Norwalk a few years ago.  Head looked up at me and said; "I really like that.  But you are missing Fun.  Where does Fun fit in?"  Force and Head both laughed and I told him Fun was a side bar.  We should have fun at everything we do!   

Gone Racin' is at RNPARKS1@JUNO.COM

     All but two of the 2015
International race dates for the 36hp & VW Challenge are set. I have copied the schedule below and attached it in Word format above. Please make a copy for your reference.  If you have any questions, please be sure to email me and I will do my best to find you answers. Also, please email me photos of the cars and engines you will be racing in 2015. If you have not already joined our 36hp & VW Challenge FaceBook page, please send me a request at the FB address below. It is updated almost every day with photos and history of both today’s and yesterday’s Volkswagen land speed racers. I hope you not only enjoy visiting but ask you to post replies, your own comments and photos of anything VW land speed racing related.
See you on the salt (and on the asphalt).  Burly Burlile
2015 INTERNATIONAL 36 hp and BB VW LAND SPEED CHALLENGE; Land Speed Racing Volkswagens Coming Events Schedule.

     February 27-28 -Speed Weekend (36hp & BB Challenge). Arsunda, Sweden. Annual land speed event on "ice", a 1 kilometer event held on the ice of the neighboring lake. Volkswagen racers and spectators welcome. For information, visit http://landracing.se (use translator).  For 36hp & BB Challenge guideline information visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge.

     March 23rd to March 27th - The 25th annual Speedweek Australia (36hp & BB Challenge), Lake Gairdner, Australia.  Annual land speed event (no facilities-very isolated). Volkswagen racers and spectators welcome. For information, visit http://www.dlra.org.au   For 36hp & BB Challenge guideline information visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge .

     March 27-29 - The TEXAS MILE (36hp & BB Challenge).  NOTE: Registration opens January 11th-Enter early.  One mile standing start time trial, Beeville, TX.  All VW racers and spectators welcome.  For information visit info@texasmile.net.  For 36hp & BB Challenge guideline information visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge.
     April 11-12 The Mojave Mile (36hp & BB Challenge), Mojave, California.  This all new one and a half mile event will allow additional track distance adding greater top speed opportunity for setting Volkswagen land speed records. All VW racers and spectators welcome.  For information, visit
http://www.mojavemile.com.  For 36hp & BB Challenge guideline information visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge.

     May 2-3 Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge  sanctioned by East Coast Timing Association (36hp & BB Challenge).  One mile standing start time trial, Wilmington, Ohio.  All VW racers and spectators welcome.  For information visit www.ecta-lsr.com . For 36hp & BB Challenge guideline information visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge.

     TBA -The Houston Half Mile (36hp & BB Challenge). Houston, Texas.  The 1/2 mile event promoted by the Hennessey Performance group will take place at the Ellington Airport during the Aero's & Auto's show.  Registration opens March 30th and is limited to 150 participants.  All VW racers and spectators welcome.  For information visit http://www.usmileracing.com.  For 36hp & BB Challenge information visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge.

     May 16-17 -Yorkshire Mile & British National Records (UKTA Speed Record Club-Straightliners) have just announced a second one mile top speed event to be held at the Elvington Air Base in York, England (36hp & BB Challenge). Records will be set by averaging two runs in opposite directions.  All VW racers and spectators welcome.  For information visit http://www.straightliners.co.uk or https://www.facebook.com/malcolm.pittwood.1.   For 36hp & BB VW Challenge info visit


     June 6-7 East Coast Timing Association (36hp & BB Challenge). One mile standing start time trial, Wilmington, Ohio. All VW racers and spectators welcome. For information visit www.ecta-lsr.com.  For 36hp & BB Challenge guideline information visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge.

     July 8-13 Test-N-Tune (3 days of racing only.  Exact dates to be determined between these dates.) USFRA.  One mile standing start time trial (This qualifies for 36hp & BB Challenge records) at the world famous Bonneville Salt Flats, Wendover, UT.  All VW racers. For information visit www.saltflats.com.  For 36hp & BB Challenge guideline information visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge.

     July 11-12 New 1/2 mile event sanctioned by the East Coast Timing Association (36hp & BB Challenge).  One mile standing start time trial, Wilmington, Ohio.  All VW racers and spectators welcome.  For information visit www.ecta-lsr.com.  For 36hp & BB Challenge guideline info visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge.

     July 23-26 "Maine Event," Loring Timing Association (36hp & BB Challenge one and one half mile standing start time trial, Loring AFB, Limestone, Maine.  All VW racers and spectators welcome.  For LTA information visit www.loringtiming.comFor 36hp & BB Challenge guideline info visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge.

     August 8-14 - Bonneville Speedweek (NOT a 36hp & BB Challenge event).  Three and five mile SCTA/BNI sanctioned standing start time trial on the fabled Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah.  Full competition Volkswagen land speed racers only.  Spectators welcome.  For information visit www.scta-bni.org.

     August 15-16 - Northern Speed Trials Mile (36hp& BB Challenge).  One mile standing start time trial, Elvington Air Base, York, England.  All air cooled VW racers and spectators welcome. Noise limit restrictions mandatory.  For information visit http://www.straightliners.co.uk or trevor@straightliners.co.uk.  For 36hp & BB Challenge guideline information visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge.

     September 4-6 "Harvest Event," Loring Timing Association (36hp & BB Challenge) one and one half mile standing start time trial, Loring AFB, Limestone, Maine.  All VW racers and spectators welcome.  For information visit www.loringtiming.com.  For 36hp & BB Challenge guideline info https://www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge.

     September 12-15 World of Speed (130 MPH Club and 36hp & BB Challenge).  One mile standing start time trial (along with unlimited top speed streamliners and hot rods on the long eight mile course) at the world famous Bonneville Salt Flats, Wendover, UT. All VW racers and spectators welcome.  For information visit www.saltflats.com.  For 36hp & BB Challenge info https://www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge.  Pit set-up and tech inspection begins September 11th.

     September 19-20 - Autumn Mile (UKTA Speed Record Club-Straightliners) have just announced a second one mile top speed event to be held at the Elvington Air Base in York, England (36hp & BB Challenge).  Records will be set by averaging two runs in opposite directions.  All VW racers and spectators welcome.  For information visit http://www.straightliners.co.uk or https://www.facebook.com/malcolm.pittwood.1.  For 36hp & BB VW Challenge information visit


     TBA - Kalahari Desert Speedweek. Hakskeenpan, South Africa.

GPS/Laser timing for all race vehicles.  All VW racers and spectators welcome.  For information visit http://www.speedweeksa.com or

https://www.facebook.com/KalahariDesertSpeedweek. For 36hp & BB Challenge guideline info visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge.

     September 26-27 East Coast Timing Association (36hp & BB Challenge).  One mile standing start time trial, Wilmington, Ohio.  All VW racers and spectators welcome.  For information visit www.ecta-lsr.com.  For 36hp & BB Challenge guideline information visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge.

     September 29-October 2 - World Finals Speed Trials (NOT a 36hp & BB Challenge event).  Three and five mile SCTA/BNI sanctioned standing start time trial on the fabled Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah.  Full competition Volkswagen land speed racers only. Spectators welcome.  For information visit www.scta-bni.org.

     TBA AUSTRALIA Temora 1000 (one kilometer course).  Originated in 2011, this will be the fifth held at the Temora Airport near Temora, NSW.  VW racers and spectators welcome.  For information contact  info@temora1000.com, www.temora1000.com.  For 36hp & BB Challenge guideline information visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge.

     October 23-25 The TEXAS MILE (36hp Challenge).  One mile standing start time trial, Beeville, TX.  All VW racers and spectators welcome.  For information email info@nasatx.com.  For 36hp & BB Challenge guideline information visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge.

     TBA November 22 AUSTRALIA Snowy Mountain 1000 (one kilometer course). Originated in 2012, this will be the second event held at the Snowy Mountain Airport near Coomba, NSW.  VW racers and spectators welcome.  For information contact  snowymountains1000@hotmail.com.  For 36hp & BB Challenge guideline information visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge.

     The below are NON 36hp or BB Challenge events, non 130 Mile Club events and require full competition ready race cars per the SCTA/BNI rulebook: Contact  www.scta-bni.org for the 2014 Rule Book.  New Classic race classes for 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 and 3.0 pre 1981 automotive bodies including Volkswagen air cooled.  Also ideal for Spectators.    
     El Mirage Dry Lake, California (non 36hp & BB Challenge event-Full Comp only) May 16-17, June 14, July 12, September 13, October 18, November 14-15.      QUESTIONS?  Please contact Burly Burlile at
burlybug@comcast.net or call 435-752-4359 or 435-890-8832 MST.  Burly Burlile




[Email Land Speed Racing]


Jonathan Amo, Brett Arena, Henry Astor, Gale Banks, Glen Barrett, Mike Bastian, Lee Blaisdell, Jim Bremner, Warren Bullis, Burly Burlile, George Callaway, Gary Carmichael, John Backus, John Chambard, Jerry Cornelison, G. Thatcher Darwin, Jack Dolan, Ugo Fadini, Bob Falcon, Rich Fox, Glenn Freudenberger, Don Garlits, Bruce Geisler, Stan Goldstein, Andy Granatelli, Walt James, Wendy Jeffries, Ken Kelley, Mike Kelly, Bret Kepner, Kay Kimes, Jim Lattin, Mary Ann and Jack Lawford, Fred Lobello, Eric Loe, Dick Martin, Ron Martinez, Tom McIntyre, Don McMeekin, Bob McMillian, Tom Medley, Jim Miller, Don Montgomery, Bob Morton, Mark Morton, Paula Murphy, Landspeed Louise Ann Noeth, Frank Oddo, David Parks, Richard Parks, Wally Parks (in memoriam), Eric Rickman, Willard Ritchie, Roger Rohrdanz, Evelyn Roth, Ed Safarik, Frank Salzberg, Dave Seely, Charles Shaffer, Mike Stanton, David Steele, Doug Stokes, Bob Storck, Zach Suhr, Maggie Summers, Gary Svoboda, Pat Swanson, Al Teague, JD Tone, Jim Travis, Randy Travis, Jack Underwood and Tina Van Curen, Richard Venza.

Copyright 1999 - 2014 Land Speed Racing Newsletter All Rights Reserved
No Portion May Be Used Without Our Written Permission
Contact Mary Ann Lawford: 208-362-1010
Email: maryann@lawfordmedia.com